Vision in Children with Complex Needs
- Visual Acuity:
- What is Refractive error?
- What is Strabismus/Squint?
- What is Nystagmus?
- What does "Visual field" mean?
- What is Cerebral Visual Impairment or CVI?
- What is Accommodation?
- What is Contrast Sensitivity?
- What does â€œCrowdingâ€ mean?
- (1) Visual Skills Inventories - questions that help identify visual strengths and weaknesses related to CVI
- (2) Strategies for managing CVI-related difficulties - using the responses from the inventory patient specific strategies can be derived from these suggestions
- (3) Effective Report writing
Communicating your findings
Parents and Professionals
INFORMATION AND RESOURCES FOR PARENTS
Common Terms used to describe vision
How to get a Spectacle prescription made up
Encouraging your child to wear spectacles
Practical Strategies to promote using vision to its best
Considerations for the classroom
Registration of a Visual Impairment - What does this mean?
INFORMATION AND RESOURCES FOR PROFESSIONALS
Information for patients and parents to explain what happens at an eye appointment
Investigating and managing Cerebral Visual Impairment:
The Useful links webpage summarises some useful resources and associations.
Dr Little recently wrote an article for special educational teachers about vision impairment for The SEN journal: What can this child see?
This work was supported by a Knowledge Transfer project by the HSC R&D office. Summary report
If you would like to see any other information added to the webpages, or have a query, please contact email@example.com