Information for 18-19 year old Participants
What would taking part in the study involve?
The same measurements that were previously taken on your eyes when you last participated in the study will be repeated in the new study. You (along with other study participants) will have your eyes tested by an optometrist at a test centre close to your former school. We will reimburse your travel costs to the study location to the value of £10.
- We will assess how well you can see asking you to read some letters on a chart and will assess whether you might need glasses to help you see better.
- We will use special instruments to measure the shape and length of your eyes very accurately; these tests are very quick and painless and do not touch the eye. To accurately measure the eyes we will need to put some drops into each eye, which take about 30 minutes to work. Click on the icon below for further information on the eye drops used in the study.
- We will also measure your height, weight and waist measurement.
- Finally, you will be asked to complete a short questionnaire on your health and lifestyle.
- We would also like to compare your achievements at school (GCSE Mathematics and English performance) with the eye measures we have taken. If you are willing to provide this information, we will ask you about it when you attend the test session.
The whole examination will take 60 minutes in all. A member of the research team will be in contact with you once you have returned your consent form. They will arrange a suitable time and venue for you to take part in the NICER study and discuss any concerns you may have about the eye examination.
What will happen after the study?
We will check the results carefully. If we find that you need glasses or need to update your glasses we will write to you advising that you should visit your optometrist to have an eye examination.
We hope very much that you will be able to take part in the study. All the information from the study will be treated in complete confidence.
What to do next?
If you have been contacted by the research team please fill in and sign the consent form enclosed to say whether or not you will take part in the NICER study Phase 3. Click on the icon below for an extra copy of the consent form.
Please put the consent form in the stamped addressed envelope provided and return it as soon as possible. If you would like any further information please telephone Sara McCullough on 028 70123047 or email email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!